Ed

An ignitor can't leak, it doesn't carry any gas.

A weak ignitor can cause a gas odor but only when you're trying to use the
oven.
It the odor is continuous and shutting off the gas valve behind the stove
stops it then your problem is most likely between that shut-off valve and
the stove. It's almost always the plumbing but you could have a leak within
the stove itself. It can also be the shut-off valve itself when it's in the
open position.

"Russell" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:08:43 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Russell,

You have a continuous, dangerous situation.

There is no gas leak now and hasn't been for weeks.
The valve behind the stove is off.

I'm a bachelor and don't require the stove that much.
I have a full size microwave/convention oven.

Turn off the gas at the main

Why? There is a valve behind the stove already off.

valve and call a qualified gas plumber or stove repairman.

No, travel time is charged at $120 on top of labor.
And he will also charge me for the igniter EVEN if it doesn't fix the
leak.

I can replace the igniter, no problem, but if that is not the cause of the
leak
then I'm out a $120 part.
I need to know if an igniter can leak, or will I likely have to replace
both the
igniter and the valve in the oven.
If an igniter can leak then I'll order one and install it.
If both then I'll replace the stove.

If you use gas
for heating then move the family to a motel until this is fixed and hope
that your pipes don't freeze before it is repaired.

Good luck,
Dave M.