TURTLE

"Pop" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
"Pop" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
The circuit breaker for the electrical outlets and lights for my
kitchen and bathroom opened. I unplugged everything and turned off
all the lights and it still opens. I inspected all the outlets for
a sign of a short and they all look fine. The wire from the
breaker reads zero ohms to ground. I assume there is a short in
the wiring behind the wall somewhere.

I will be calling in an electrician to troubleshoot and repair the
problem Monday. I am hoping he will have some kind of a sniffer
that can inject a signal into the shorted line and then zero in on
the short location. Does such a thing exist or am I into the
major job of replacing all the wire?

Rod

This is Turtle.

Well I can't see it or look at the meter reading from here so. Wait
for the electrician but you can invest in a electric receptical
analizer from Radio Shack , Low's, Home Depot, Southerlands, or any
electric supply outlet store. You just plug it into the receptical
and watch the lites lite up on it and it will tell you what the
problem is by what lite lites up and in what order on the lite part
of the plug in device. They are about $3.00 and well worth the cost
to get a look at what is wrong with it.
TURTLE

For $3, all that's going to tell him is if the receptacle is wired
properly. Which isn't his problem it would appear.

This is Turtle.

You need to try one now days and see it say broke common, broken
ground, no power on hot, reversed polarity, and you don't want to
know if any of this stuff is going on or has happen to the circuit
system. OH yea, that is right the common wires will never come loose
or break the connection because this never happens.

TURTLE

I have one, fool; it isn't what he needs at the moment. His problem is an
exposed, hot wire which blows a breaker when he connects it. Polarity hasn't
got a whole lot to do with his situation at the moment. He has a meter which
will also tell the same things those cheapie LEDs show.
Your way isn't the only way and isn't a requirement for anyone but yourself.
I use mine all the time, but when it gets down to doing the electrical work,
I'm using my meter/s; then I can work with power off.
--
---
No, I won't get dressed.

This is Turtle.

So if your judgement is better than mine. Tell the man what the problem is and
explain it to all of us know nothings.

TURTLE