LP

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:13:31 -0500, David Lankford
wrote:

I recently purchased a new drill press, the Delta 17-990X variable speed
drill press. As my goal is to have all equipment in my shop mobile for
moving around the shop and to make cleanup easier. Given that this is a
top heavy drill press, I was wondering if anyone has one that they have
made mobile in some manner.

Delta recommends that the base of the drill press be mounted directly to
the flooor. If not, it needs to be mounted to a 21"X 28" minimum sheet
of 3/4" plywood.

I have looked at many of the mobile bases on the market and they don't
look stable enough to me to use with this drill press. The two that I
am considering at this point are the Shop Fox heavy duty and the Delta
universal mobile base that you put your own wood (2"X2") to fit the
machine you want to make mobile.

I have the Delta mobile base and the wood, so from a cost standpoint,
that seems to be the better option. The only downside of this mobile
base is that it has a pedal that raises the front of the base to make it
mobile and I am concerned it might case the drill press to tip over,
though I think it is relatively unlikely that it would and I won't be
moving it around much.

What has everyone done for a mobile base on a drill press?

Has anyone come up with an shopmade way to easily move a drill press around?

Thanks,

David

Others have made suggestions on movability, etc, and I wont add to
that, but I would strongly suggest you not consider the Shop Fox base.
Even the "Heavy Duty" model is not much more than sheet metal, and the
casters are way too small to support the advertised weight. But the
most aggravating thing about it is that once installed the two movable
wheels will not rotate a full 360 degrees so you have something akin
to driving a car which has no reverse. You can only go in one
direction.