The Natural Philosopher

Default Squiffy DVD player.

Tony wrote:

Oh dear. She is pestering me because She bought some cheapo DVDS from
the supermarket, and they won't play, and now nothing else will either.

Sony machine, 3 months old...I can hear the disc spin up, and siunds as
of trying to synch (head movements) but it seems to get nowhere, and
won't respond to 'eject' till its switched off again.

Anything I might try...or is it 'back to the store' time?

Have you got young kids? Have you tried turning it upside down and giving
it a good shake - careful not to shake it too hard as this is known as
'Shaking DVD Syndrome' and Professor No-nothing at PC World will blame you
for damage.

Mine (Panasonic) has an ittybitty little microswitch to reset the thing -
never had to use it but the manual says something along the lines of...

"If no work find reset push to reset for factory"

I didn't know IMM spoke Japanese :-)

Bloody awful manual it is.

Tony

PS: Perhaps you've changed the region settings while sitting on the
remote - mine displays a message if a non readable region disk is used but I
would guess they don't all do that.

Thanks Tony. No, its not anything gross.

Basically its always had the odd 'freeze frame' and now it just freezes
permanently anywhere from not being able to even read the intro, to
somewhere in the intro area. Its just out of whack - won't even play
audio CD's anymore...

I will try shaking it a little. Other possibilities include tossing it
back at Dixons - its less than 4 months old.