billh

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just upgraded my lathe, and replaced the tapered adapter on my
Stronghold Chuck. (I believe it's the same adapter as the Talon). The
new adapter did not come with set screws, and since my new lathe is
reversible, I asked Oneway about them. Here's the response -

"The set screws are M8. We stopped including them as people were using
them on spindles which were not built for set screw locking and
damaging their spindles and then blaming us."

Seems that reversible lathes have an unthreaded portion at the
headstock end of the spindle, and others don't. At least my jet 1236
didn't.

I went to Lowes and bought M8 1.25 x 16 socket head cap screws. I
haven't tried them yet, but the 16mm length might be a tad too short.
I'll know for sure when my lathe gets here.

Ron,
The adapters for Oneway chucks are actually designed for the spindle on
Oneway lathes which have a mating unthreaded portion that is a bit recessed
from what I understand. Some, usually more expensive lathes, also have
hardened spindles which means the screws won't damage the thread or are less
likely to damage the thread.
My reversing General has an unthreaded portion on its spindle but it isn't
wide enough to mate with the chuck screws so they do impact on the threads.
I bought some brass screws and cut pieces of them to fit between the chuck
locking screw and the lathe thread. The brass won't damage the thread. I
don't really use the lathe much in reverse to it is far from a big deal to
me.
If you aren't runnin the lathe in reverse there is no need for the locking
screws.

Billh