william_b_noble

calculate power dispation in the transistors, then you will see why this
isn't done very often

"Ignoramus29573" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:31:33 GMT, Jerry Martes

wrote:

"Ignoramus29573" wrote in message
I have another idea. Scratch the idea about having a rotating cylinder
with brushes. What I need is a small 1 phase motor (1/3 hp) connected
to a small 3 phase generator (again, low power). If the 3 phase
generator generates 1 or so amps, the transistors could amplify that
85 times, and I get a smooth wave on top of that. The result would be
70 amps of 3 phase, enough for more or less anything. All I need is a
source of clean DC, AC motor ($15), small 3 phase generator ($???,
maybe I can make it from a regular 3 phase motor), the transistor
units, and 2 isolation transformers.

Good idea. Make it and send some reports.

Two questions.

1. Can I use a small 3 phase motor (dirt cheap on ebay) to be a
generator? (if it is driven by something else)

Example:

2. How can I construct a source of relatively smooth DC from regular
AC. Say I can convert 250V into 208VAC, how can I make 208 VDC? I
understand that, obviously, I need a rectifier. But what else to
stabilize voltage as the input phase goes through zeroes?