Andrew V

Default Was Shop heat---update

WOW,

Gentlemen thank you for some great responses, lots of useful info. I spoke
to a contractor today and he suggested a combination of tube deep in the
slab and some separately poured spots for the power hammer & shear. nothing
else will really need to be anchored deeper then 4"

A couple of follow ups:

Harold-- is the rebar @ 18" centers in addition to mesh or instead of?

JW-- you said you used icf's for the walls is that the full 16'? I'm just
starting to look at them, which ones did you use? I'm planning on 12' walls
toped with concrete plank for the shop area (lower level) and on top a stick
framed garage/studio 9' wall with a gambrel roof. I'm building into a
hillside and the building won't be square (40' x 28' x 50' on the long side
& whatever across the front-hill, long story involves the wife & her
garden.....) on the hill end so I'm interested in how you handle that with
icf forms.

Dave--I do have access to a thermal imager but not that I could take home

As far as the heat source is concerned I'm thinking about a coal fired
boiler(auto stoker) it would easily heat the shop and also offset the house
load too, but if that doesn't pan out a large water heater and a couple of
solar panels would do the shop nicely.
If anybody has shop (construction shots would be real nice) pictures on line
post a link. Once I break ground I'm going to put shots on my web page. I'm
all ears for shop construction tips.

Thanks again

Andrew V