DE

Default Need knurling information

I'm refreshing some lawn & garden small engines, and I am
wondering if it is possible/adviseable
to knurl the pistons on a lathe. I understand it was common practice
at one time but has gone
out of favor these days. Some of these small engine parts
are obscenely expensive. I mean its just for mowing the lawn.

I've been honing out the taper with a rigid hone and the pistons
have good grooves but are a little under sized after honing.
Just use a regular knurler under the pin hole maybe?? I know
it was done with a dedicated machine at one time but a knurl is
a knurl huh.? If it goes over sized just knock it back with a file??
Need a special chuck or go with 3/4 jaw??

Been grinding the valves on the lathe using a small router
(with the ways covered) fitted into the compound, not as nice as a
sioux but the final results are great.

Any advice/comments appreciated.

DE