Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
Hello all

another question:

I have located a cable under my floorboards which I *think* is the
ring main, the cable is definately the right size anyway. I want to
cut this and insert a junction box and then run a socket from it. I
want to be sure that what I'm cutting is the actual ring main before I
break into it, any ideas how I can easily do this apart from tracing
the cable to see where it goes?

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Get yourself a volt stick, check it bleeps before you turn off the
breaker for the ring main, check it doesn't bleep when you have turned
off the relevant breaker, then check again that it bleeps when you turn
the breaker back on. If you have adjustable sensitivity on it, set it
right to the minimum before carrying out these tests.

Alternatively, turn off the breaker for the ring main, get a heavily
insulated pair of cutters, place against cable, shut eyes, pray, hope,
and cut ;-) (Don't really do this!!!!!)