Leon

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
.. .
A friend and I ( both amateur wooddorkers) have been going around and
around
over the order in constructing cabinets. He's an AVID pockethole man and
says he always starts by making the faceframe first and then constructing
the cabinet to fit.

I tend to do it the other way - seems to me that if an adjustment need to
be
made, it's much easier to adjust the faceframe to fit rather than vice
versa.

If I'm making a piece of furniture I always construct the carcase first
and
fit the faceframe toward the end.

Your logic and mine parallel here. I always build the face frames last and
make them to fit the bottom width of the cabinet and height of the cabinet.
I figure it is easier to cut small pieces of wood to fit a larger caucus
than it is to cut larger pieces to fit a smaller face frame. If you screw
up and cut a face frame part too short it is cheaper to cut another piece
than to cut another plywood panel which often equates to buying another $60+
panel. I build my face frames with pocket holes also.