Sunworshipper

On 15 Feb 2005 05:33:16 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

The host material isn't where the diamonds are mounted. There's usually an
alloy that becomes the bonding agent, and it doesn't have an affinity for
carbon. There is no transfer of carbon for that reason.

I've actually had occasion to talk to the Kennametals folks who
make things like cutting tools. They also produce fine (micron
particle size or thereabouts) bronze powder. This is an alloy
of copper and tin which is specifically used as a sintering
binder for that application - bonding diamond particles to
steel tooling.

Jim

That matrix is the make or break part on diamond blades for "stone" .
If its too hard it won't cut jack **** and too soft and the blade is
down to the steel in no time.

I cringe at the thought of replacing blades to the point of testing
them on the spot. Some times they just sugar coat them and work great
for a couple of jobs and then just stop cutting at the worse possible
moment. Some won't cut the first tile. Bet I could find about 10 junk
ones around here that look like they have lots of life left. I've
often wondered if there could be a way to heat the **** out of it with
out warping it or have it fly apart on the saw to change a screwed up
job into something that will work again. Somehow weaken the matrix
that was made too hard... Hmmm maybe electricity and acid. There goes
that sharpening joke.