NotMe

"none" ""richardm\"@(none)" wrote in message
Hi

I am able to wallpaper and paint but have never taken on anything more
than this.

I would like to sand the floorboards in my lounge and then stain
them/polish them so that they are smooth and reasonably light in colour
- not dark mahogany, more teak or oak!

I need to hire a sander, and I believe I also need to hire a second
'edge' sander.

Would this be the correct approach?

Prior to sanding make sure you punch in ALL the nails, or they will tear the
sandpaper. Take your time at doing it, as the sand paper is quite pricy.

1. carefully sand the floor.

Open all windows, and isolate room from the rest of the house as much as
possible - this is a messy job! Masking tape around door frames is a good
idea...

Technique is very important for a good result: start with the heavy duty
sandpaper, working against the grain, allowing for a slight overlap between
passes. Make sure you always keep the sander moving or you will end up with
uneven floor. Once you reach a uniform and "clean-looking" timber, repeat
the process, but this time working with the grain. Once completed work with
the grain, gradually using finer and finer sandpaper. Follow the same
process with the edge sander as you go along.

Make sure you collect the dust every once in a while - from my experience at
this stage a broom will do, although a vacuum cleaner is OK as well.

Also, have plenty of face masks and a pair of goggles, ear defenders are
also a good idea.

2.hoover up and wipe away all sawdust and dust.

Don't forget to brush the walls as well!

Leave room for a few hours (e.g. overnight) for the dust to settle, and
repeat stage 2 above.

3. wipe of the floorboards with a damp cloth.

Never needed to do that - taking my time with my Dyson gave good enough
results without having to wipe.

4. stain the floor boards with the appropriate colour of wood stain

From my experience following the instructions on the tins always left me
short of wood stain - probably something to do with the wood being very old
and absorbent, so make sure you have plenty (B&Q and the like will always
take back the excess tins).

Thanks for any advice

You are welcome.

R.