Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I think it's just going to have to be VPN and a slow as old chips DSL
connection.
But that's missing the spirit of adventure.

Yes, but it does work... If you are going down this route, get the same
make of router at each end... In theory, VPN protocolls are "standard"
but I've had problems with one vendors interpretation of standards
vs. another.

I've used Draytak Vigor routers to build multi-site VPNs recently with
good results, but that aren't the cheapest. Some units do have phone
sockets though, and although I haven't used them, I have a friend who
has setup a set of small offices using them and he says it's works great
and saves their phone bills...

Yes, I HAve a Netgear thing at the moment but it frequently needs
re-booting, so I will certainly go the route of a Draytech at each end.

Having just been up on the roof of the shop (via handy Velux) The Line
of sight thing even to the comms tower is a total no-go scenario as
there's a bloomin' great big disused "grainstore" on the dock-side right
between us and the hill. so untill they knock it down and re-develop the
docks as a marina I'll give up on that venture.

Thanks to everyone for thoughoughly interesting info and suggestions though.

CHeers
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)