Andy Hall

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:29:33 -0000, "Pecanfan"
wrote:

...but then the OP was using the cheapest junction boxes this side of a
very cheap place...

I rest my case.....

The Wickes ones are about the same price and are far superior quality wise.
I know you can get even better ones if you pay more, but cost isn't really
the point here. The Screwfix ones are BS marked, which leads you to the
conclusion that they might be cheap but *shouldn't* be dangerous. These are
dangerous.

Andy

You would think so, wouldn't you?

I am always sceptical about standards because I see too many of them.
You have to look carefully at what is and isn't included. I haven't
looked at the relevant one here, but it could easily specify terminal
sizes and the flame retardant properties of the plastic - who knows.

I *never* consider that something having a "standard" mark, and
especially a CE label as being any measure of quality at all.
It is yet another example where cheap manufacturers will do the
minimum necessary and where they will use the label of a "standard" to
imply the product is better than it actually is.

The conclusion, as I've said many times, is to buy decent branded
wiring accessories from the major manufacturers and not this cheap
junk from DIY places. WIth electrical stuff, a penny pinching
decision may well cost lives.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl