Robatoy

In article ,
"Nick Degidio" wrote:

I purchased an Hitachi 3hp router many moons ago, and have been using it
with a home build router table that has server me well. Some of the negative
attributes have been bit changes on the router, and no variable speed.

The router died over this weekend. Will replace it with a new router, yet to
be determined.

I'd really like to know your thoughts and experiences with router-lift
systems, and routers that work well with these systems. I'm tempted to just
replace the router, and be done with it, but from what I've read, the router
lift systems may we worth looking at.

Any thoughts that you can share?

There is no doubt that a 'from-the-top' adjustment is the way to go.
Milwaukee, and others, put this feature in their routers.
I have taken a shine to Milwaukee routers after dozens of Porter Cables
and several Hitachis. The M12V is still the best bang for the buck,
IMHO, but if you're thinking to buy a lift, then any of the Milwaukees
suddenly start to shine. I have a 5615 which I use for justabout
everything. Made a nice base for it, a 1/2" thick 7" x 7" piece of scrap
acrylic. The power feels way bigger than it is supposed to be. Reminds
me of earlier Bosch models, although their base design really sucked
back then. I think the Milwaukee 5616 (An additional 1/2 horse to 2 1/4
and variable speed) is a way better deal now that it is available. That
jewel should be all anybody needs short of the bullwork that the 5625 (3
1/4 Milwaukee Horses, yes, there is a difference) brings to the
table..('brings to the table'..Rob made a funny...get it???..nebber mind)
Quality lift + new router = Milwaukee 5625, I completely concur with
'wood addict'...(IF that's his real name)

Leon suggested I'd take a look at the Triton.
I did. At the Chatham Woodworking Show, two Sundays ago, I had a chance
to fondle it. Some great features. I just love the 'Bob The Builder'
look. It looks like it could work under water. G No doubt a quality
piece. But here in Kanuckistan, they want a small fortune for it.
I am not familiar with the distributors either, so service is unknown.
For that kind of money.... I want to know. I know the Milwaukee service
here...excellent.

Before I forget...There is a 2000 watt Festool router as well,
Nick...now THAT is a beast...but still a little new to be dropping CAN$
750.00 on it.......( 3/4 of a 1000 dollar bill???? WAKE UP, ROB...you're
a hobbyist now...).. and no track record for service in Kanuckistan.

Oops.. look at the time..got a countertop to build.. an almond one (Bone
Meganite).. haven't done that sort of colour in 15 years. Kinda nice in
a puke/beige kinda way. I hope I don't fall asleep with a powertool
running. 400 colours..she picks Bone.

0¿0

Rob