Nate Perkins

Rob Mitchell wrote in
:

Don't the Iraqi people have the right to choose the form of government
that they want? Separation of religion and state is a western ideal,
but is not Islamic. Islam is a way of life, and governs all aspects
of life, both religious and civil. I don't think we should even try
to force our form of government on them, let alone insist on a
government friendly to the USA.

You and I may not like the Iranian form of government
(democracy+theocracy), but I think that over time, if we continue to
engage them rather than shut them out and threaten them, positive
changes will take place. They have elected representatives and there
is a struggle within the society today to find a better balance.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it is violently repressed.

Yes, the Iraqi people do have the right to choose the form of government
that they want.

I think the question is whether or not it is worth it to send our
country to war in Iraq, when the most likely outcome of a fully free
election is probably the victory of the Shiite theocratic parties. Is
it worth going to war in Iraq if the outcome is a government that looks
like Iran's?

Two years ago, a Canadian journalist (dual Iranian citizenship) was
taking pictures outside a prison in Tehran. She was arrested and died
while in custody, allegedly by being beaten/tortured. Canada pressed
Iran to investigate and eventually there was an investigation. Some
low level guards were charged and found guilty. Now, there are
ripples within the government, following further pressure that may
lead to some higher ups being charged too. There has been good
pressure from the Europeans, and Iran values those trading
relationships. The Canadian position is that by engaging people
rather than isolating them you can pressure them to improve their
human rights.

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, too naive etc, but diplomacy does
work sometimes. The alternative is more violence, killing and hatred.

I think it works frequently. The US has a lot of tools to influence
oppressive regimes -- economic, diplomatic, political, military. Too
often lately, we rely on the military option alone.