Bob

The next splitter I build will have a 2 stage pump to speed the cycle
time. Also the ram will be a 5 inch bore with a 4 inch rod to speed
the retract time.

Current splitter has a 4 X 24 and a Vickers pressure compensating pump.
That is a rotary swash plate style and the swash plate rotates flat at
a preset pressure setting (no flow). It was built with available parts
some 20 years ago and still serves me well. Beam rotates vertical and
horizontal, Briggs model 19 7.25 HP engine.

Last fall I had 2 young men and my g/f helping. It was the easiest
harvest by far. Here is how it went;

Weekend 1 spent 2 days in the woods cutting trees, 20 -25 ft length
sections. Loaded trailer with case backhoe with 4 in 1 bucket.

At home, picked up the log with the tractor and held it about 3.5 ft.
g/f backed the Kawasaki mule under the end of the log, and I cut a
piece off 18 inches long. 4 or 5 pieces in the Mule, drive over to the
splitter and dump the pieces off to the splitter and stackers. Repeat
until wood is all in the barn. We did 6 cords in a day! No sore back!

I like the design of the Timberwolf Manufacturing TW-6 machine.

Bob