Bruce

Ron Maggi wrote in
:

Bruce wrote:
We're selecting cabinets for a kitchen remodel. My wife likes white,
but the only way we can get white is either order maple boxes painted
white, or a white thermofoil or laminate box. We've looked at all
the woods, but we just keep coming back to white.

My concerns with thermofoil or laminate are the weight, and the
inability to repair dents or scratches.

If anyone has had either of these type of cabinets installed for a
while, can you tell me about their durability, reapairability, and
installation considerations?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

Stay away from thermofoil! We have a self-cleaning GE electric oven
and the heat generated from the self-cleaning process caused the
thermofoil laminate to melt and bulge out of shape on the drawer eges
adjacent to the oven. Naturally, this occurred when the installation
was out of warranty. When I called the company that installed the
cabinets, I was told that thermofoil can't take intense heat so one
should leave adjacent drawers and cabinet doors open when
self-cleaning the oven. I later spoke to a fomer building contreactor
and he said the same thing.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

Thanks for the warning. I did some 'googling' today and found out the
same. Some articles also suggested keeping drawers next to a drying
dishwasher open. I don't want to have to worry about doing the chores
one naturally does in the kitchen.

Bruce