Tim

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know that the wall between my home and attached garage is a double
thickness of drywall for fire resistance purposes.
Am I violating code or reducing the level of protection by drilling a
hole to bring out a new electrical circuit? Can I place an outlet box
in the firewall? Are there ways I can/should do this to remain
code-compliant?

Thanks.

You don't necessarily need anything special. When I added receptacles to
my garage, I used standard Pass & Seymour remodel boxes (from Home depot /
Lowes). Their literature specifically stated that they were recognized for
use in 2 hr fire walls.

My inspector required use of fire rated caulk in around wire penetrations
through the wall or ceiling, for example for the cable running from the
basement as well as cables running through the top plate of the wall.

Your local codes may be more stringent. You should always check with the
local building department.

Tim