Dave

Derek * wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:15:53 +0000, Dave wrote:

I need some s/tapping screws, 2" no8s would be perfect, but I can't find
anything longer than 1.5". Any suggestions?

BTW, they're to fix up a curtain rail. In our house the lintels have a
small wooden batten clipped to them, just below the plaster skim coat,
but if you fix into the batten the curtain weight eventually moves it a
little and the plaster cracks.

Never seen that problem. The batten must be loose behind the plaster...

All the windows in the house have been the same. When we had a wndow
moved I saw that the batten just clips to the lintel, so I guess it's a
duff design.

I always drill through the lintel and use
long s/tappers - but now I've used them all. This type of lintel must be
fairly common, what do other people do?

Drill and tap the lintel with an M5 tap. The length of the tap can be a
problem but usually something workable can be sorted out.

DG

I'd wondered about tapping but, as you say, it's a bit deep for standard
taps. If I can't find any 50mm s/tappers I'll look-around for a long tap.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)