John Rumm

GymRatZ wrote:

With a high gain parabolic dish at each end on as much height as I can
get, would the hill/houses obscuring Line Of Sight for a fairly short
distance attenuate the signal too much to make the "experiment" even
worth considering?

You need LOS or a cable (a single length go CAT5 can be 300m remember).
You could possibly get LOS in more than one step...

I appreciate the practice would fall well outside of the law, but even a
10Mb connection to the works network which has a 4MB cable hook-up would
be a cracking utillitiy for the home office.
:¬))

As long as you are not tweaking up the power of the output stages you
should be legal, high gain yagis etc. are only focussing the available
power more accurately.

ISTR Bob Cringly describing a setup he built like this to get over a
hill on a 20km trip to reach DSL. See if you can find it in the archive
he

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/

other alternative is 1Mb DSL at home connecting via VNC but limited to
348 Mb upstream from office.

or several aggregated ones....

--
Cheers,