Ian Stirling

GymRatZ wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

With megawatts of power, maybe, otherwise basically not.

I suppose there is no possibility of a mast to give you LOS to top of hill,
a box on the crest?
Power to the box would be nice, but solar could be made to work.

Sadly not.
It's already occupied by Portishead police "village" and a big comms tower.
Don't think they'd give me mast space for a domestic illegal LAN extension.

I did consider sighting up a suitablly positioned large building in
S.Wales and reflecting the signal as both sites have a clear view across
the River Severn.

The angle needs to be right of the building too, and the building needs
to be reasonably (+-5cm) flat over large portions of its surface.

Can you get LOS to the top of the tower?
Idly wondering.
Big dish pointing at top of tower on either side.
Hmm.
If a router does omnidirectional to 100m, then for 8Km you need 80 times the
range, or 640 times the directivity.
This means you're looking at an antenna on the 8Km link of about 1/40th of
a steradian, call it 1/7 of a radian.
So, you need a dish of around 12cm*7 = 74cm, if you got an omni antenna router
up the tower.
Or with a 1.8m dish, the signal would be 5 times stronger than needed.

Now, if you're 500m from the tower, and want to hit it and put all the beam
in a 5m diameter (assuming the tower has a 1m radius), you're looking at
a dish of ... Hmm.
I make it 12m.
I think they might notice that.

You don't even need an active repeater - a couple of 60cm dishes wired back
to back pointing in the right directions would make this so much easier.

Any nearby properties that might cut the corner for you, and also want
a broadband link?