Andy Hall

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:24:47 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well...... if you have a situation where you need to make joints in a
place that won't be accessible again, then crimps are an approved
joint and anything with screw terminals is not.

I agree with the concept, but IME crimping solid wire with Screwfix
red/blue/yellow receptacles and a ratchet tool produces a crap joint.
IMO to get a decent crimp with solid wire, you need a hex or AMP type
crimp and much thicker walled receptacles. The cheap terminals are just
about OK with stranded wire, but again do not achieve the wire grip
performance achievable with an industrial crimping system.

Regards
Capitol

I didn't say anything about using Screwfix or any other cheap crimps.

Electrical wiring accessories are the *last* place to consider
anything less than top quality materials. It is a false economy to
use cheap electrical stuff for both reliability and safety reasons.

Obviously one should use best quality branded crimps to the right
specification and a properly specified ratchet tool to attach them.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl