Mike

GymRatZ wrote:
Having read with interest the high-gain (though illegal) parabolic
network sharing kind of thing I got to thinking.

As there are plenty of knowledgeable types Microwave comms etc I
thought about the viabillity(sp) of a home-shop link.

Might be flogging a dead horse but, here goes....

House is 80m ASL very close to the top of Hill but on the blind side so
no line of sight. The hill rises to 110m within about 500m then drops
off over the next couple of miles, with un-interupted path to shop.
Shop is 3 storey with posibillity of farly tall mast on top so clear
view to non-house side of hill.

Distance point to point is 8.5km

so... simple yes or no question....

With a high gain parabolic dish at each end on as much height as I can
get, would the hill/houses obscuring Line Of Sight for a fairly short
distance attenuate the signal too much to make the "experiment" even
worth considering?

I appreciate the practice would fall well outside of the law, but even a
10Mb connection to the works network which has a 4MB cable hook-up would
be a cracking utillitiy for the home office.
:¬))

other alternative is 1Mb DSL at home connecting via VNC but limited to
348 Mb upstream from office.

Cheers
Pete

Do you own the top of the hill ? If so it is possible to build a
passive reflector that can send the signal down the other side, though
how you go about designing one I don't know I'm afraid.