Anthony Fremont

"Harvey" wrote in message

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in message

That stuff seem to be the same as the self amalgamating tape I

posted
about
earlier - I'm guessing its about the same sort of suff, just under

different name.

I think it's different. The coax seal is kinda thick 1/8". The

tape
your talking about is much like electrical tape that permanently

bonds
to itself after some time, isn't it?

The stuff I have is about 1/8" thick too, separated with a thin

plastic film
to stop it sticking together.

That sounds about the same, but the seperator is like wax paper.

The roll I have is about 15 years old (and still as good as new). I've

had
no need to buy any since so although I assume the stuff on the market

these
days is the same as I have, but I don't honestly know.

The coax seal seems to have a long shelf life as well.

This stuff I have actually 'melts' into itself over time, forming a

solid
blob after a few years that sticks to the coax but doesn't actually

stick to
the metal parts, and can be cut and pealed away if needed.

This is where it sounds a bit different. The coax seal bonds instantly
to itself. You just wrap it around and then massage it a bit like putty
and it's just one solid piece after that.

I have also seen a sort-of duct tape / gaffer tape used before - that

was
like the normal duct tape but without the shiny backing - so it stuck

everything as a horrible gooey mess - not recommended - as it's a

almost
imposable to remove without getting it stuck to your fingers, hands,
clothes, hair, carpet, dog, cat.....