C & S

If they have jack screws like the YC-8J it is not a nightmare. Just pull up
a chair and get comfy in front of the machineIt took me about 20 minutes.
The only tool employed was a straightedge, the supplied open-end wrench and
the supplied allen wrench.. I used the jack screw to lift the knife so that
it would touch and move the straight edge (resting on the outfeed table and
overhangling the cutterhead) as little as possible when turing the cutter
head. I got it down to where the cutter head advanced the straight edge
1/8". I could not make it less w/o going to zero. It was about a 10-degree
turn of the jack screw between 0 and 1/8" advance of the straight edge.

Test cuts were spot on.

The Chinese 6"er that it replaced *was* a nightmare. It had nothing but
springs under the knife, and a crude
jug to hold the knife a constant height above the cutter head.

-Steve

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I new this time would come! The knives on my Yorkcraft 6" jointer are
finally dulling out, so I plan to take them to the sharpener. What's
the deal with resetting the blades? Is it the nightmare I'm expecting,
or not? I was about to order the knife setting jig offered from
Grizzly for $26. It appears to simply rest (magnet?) on the outfeed
table and give you an exact reference for setting the blades. Is this
device worth it?