Ron Maggi

Bruce wrote:
We're selecting cabinets for a kitchen remodel. My wife likes white, but
the only way we can get white is either order maple boxes painted white, or
a white thermofoil or laminate box. We've looked at all the woods, but we
just keep coming back to white.

My concerns with thermofoil or laminate are the weight, and the inability
to repair dents or scratches.

If anyone has had either of these type of cabinets installed for a while,
can you tell me about their durability, reapairability, and installation
considerations?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

Stay away from thermofoil! We have a self-cleaning GE electric oven and
the heat generated from the self-cleaning process caused the thermofoil
laminate to melt and bulge out of shape on the drawer eges adjacent to
the oven. Naturally, this occurred when the installation was out of
warranty. When I called the company that installed the cabinets, I was
told that thermofoil can't take intense heat so one should leave
adjacent drawers and cabinet doors open when self-cleaning the oven. I
later spoke to a fomer building contreactor and he said the same thing.

Ron