The Natural Philosopher

P.R.Brady wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ricky C wrote:

I just bought a 1997 Nissan Primera. It has apparently had a boiling
battery at one time, causing the battery acid to spray out. Much the
of the crank case and gearbox has surface corrosion as a reult
(showing up as whitish powdery deposits all over). I don't think this
is a serious problem since it comes off when rubbed with wire wool.

More of a concern is the steel parts that have rusted as a
consequence. FOr example the acid leaked aver the automatic gearbox's
steel mounting brackets which are just behind the battery compartment
and consequently showing some rust. I'm not sure how much I should be
worried about this. The mountings appear to be made of pressed 1/8"
steel.
I was thinking of spraying everything under the bonnet with a soda
solution to neutralise any lingering acid that could cause further
corrosion, but someone has suggested to me that soda (or bicarbonate
of soda) will also corode the aluminium engine!

If that's correct. can anyone suggest anopther line of remedial action
to neutralise any remaining acid lingering in the engine compartment?

Use a very mild alkali like diluted bleach to get vestigial acid off,
then flush with lots of water, then look at treating the rust.

The phosphoric acid stuff like jenolite us not bad, if painted afterwards

Many thanks

RickyC

I'd say bleach is pretty corrosive!

Not the hypochlorite stuff. Not dliuted and on steel.

Its not as bad as e.g.plain salt is when bimetallic contacts are in
existence.

Phil