Charles Schuler

wrote in message
I dont know how to explain this stuff, but there is some sort of black
or gray putty like goop that I have seen that is used to seal things.
I know they use it on furnace ducts and the like.

What I have is a automotive CB antenna mounted on my metal rain gutter
on my house. It's not for CB, but is for my police scanner.
Considering it's not really tuned for scanner, I am amazed how well it
picks up distant signals. However, I have a problem. The antenna
works fine in dry weather, and even in rain. However, it gets screwy
from snow. I am fully aware of why. It's because the snow piles up
at the base and touches the connector where the coax hooks to the
antenna.

You might be reaching the wrong conclusion. The problem could be snow
static which is an accumulation of static charge or the discharge of charged
particles.