Mike Marlow

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Well, according to Delta he can use anything with a 5/8" arbor that does
not
stack beyond 1/2". That's something of a limitation, but not one that
should be a show stopper. If he upgrades as he plans, just about any
better
saw will only give him more capability with just about any dado head.

If
he
never upgrades, well then he's stuck with a 1/2" limitation, but at

least
he
has a few spare cutters at his disposal.

BUT, not all saws have adequate clearance under the table for a 8" tall

and
wide dado blade when tilted. IIRC a few years ago Jet recommended a 6"
dado set for proper clearance under the table. Most likely he will be OK
but I would still wait to see what I end up with before buying the dado

set.

You might have a point there - I really don't know. I was always under the
impression that you were not supposed to operate a dado head cutter on a
bevel. I don't use a dado head cutter so there are aspects of their use
that I'm not certain of.

We all look at things differently. If I were the OP and I felt I needed a
dado, I'd go out and buy what my saw will support. If I upgraded my saw
down the road and decided I needed a different one, I'd sell mine and go buy
a new one. Personally, I don't like waiting until I get something that I'm
only planning on getting "down the road sometime". If I need it today, I go
buy what I need. Again - worst case scenario - most likely, if his saw will
only support a 6" dado, I'm guessing that a 6" dado will probably do 99% of
what he will ever require of a dado cutter. Those who use dado cutters
instead of routers could probably speak with greater authority to that
assumption. Assuming it's true though, that purchase of the 6" dado cutter
today will likely serve him extremely well, no matter what saw he ultimately
ends up with.
--

-Mike-