Sven

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:30:18 -0500, Andrew V
wrote:
I'm in the design stage on a shop/garage and I'd like to put radiant tube
in
the floor.

You'll love it. It's a great way to heat a space.

The problem I'm running into is designing the layout with any
flexibility for future machine placement. I know what machines are on the
future list but am unsure of exact make/model type info. One thought is
have exclusion zones with no tube for the anchored machines (shear/ press
brake).

Well, you'll tie it to 6-inch wire grid, right? Lay it down, take lots
of pictures, and you'll know where to miss.

another idea is since the floor in these spots needs to be thicker
anyway place the tubes deeper in the slab. I will be talking to several
contractors but options from the group are worthwhile.

When I put mine in, I was told to have it on the wire grid, about
half-depth
in the concrete. So, in my 5" slab, it's about there-ish. Impossible to
tell where specifically, so I wouldn't count on it being deep enough.
If you happen to be on a fire department and have access to the thermal
imaging camera, you could use that to see exactly where the lines are.
Maybe if you're in a rural area and they have one, they'd come out and
do it for you in exchange for a donation of liquid refreshment?

Dave Hinz

I laid down 2" Certifoam and used the plastic chairs made for this purpose
that screw into the styro to clip on the tubing. I also insulated the edge
of the slab as they say that is where the biggest heat loss is. Best
investment I ever made!
Steve