On 13 Feb 2005 12:05:27 -0800, someone wrote:

You'd risk liability based on what somebody told you over the
internet? ;-) Better ask a local lawyer IRL. Alls I'm sayin' is
that you should not necessarily be expecting a fence to be "on" the
property line. In general, nobody has an "right" to put up a fence on
anyone else's property or to enter anyone else's property to do so. -
so since a fence has some thickness, as a practical matter its owner
would have to set it back a few inches or risk encroachment.

So what if someobdy else puts a fence on your land? Well, what if
they put a shed, a garage, house, etc. Similar.

You also talk about somebody else who used to own what is now your
property putting a fence on someone else's property. So what. What
is it to you?

But ask your lawyer. This advice is worth what you paid for it.

So it that the rule? Whoever's property the fence is on owns the fence
(or at least the right to knock it down/move it at their own expense)?

And do I have any legal responsibility to move a fence that a previous
owner of my property mistakenly (or purposely) placed on my neighbor's
property?