top gear

"John Rumm" wrote in message
top gear wrote:

I think the S may have stood for synthetic. It may have been replaced by
Spirax GSX or ASX gear oils. I would check with the Shell technical
department first to be sure.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ml/iwgen/zzz_l

hn.html&FC3=/global/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/spirax/product_page
s/spirax_gsx_asx_ga_0209.html

That seems to claim it is for truck axles...

The viscosity is clearly for cars too.

Spirax GSX 75W-80 API GL-4/
Spirax ASX 75W-90 API GL-5/

It is possible the S stood for Subaru, IIRC they said it was an oil
specially formulated in collaboration with the manufacturer to fix a
problem with the gearbox on the Justy. A web search turns up a few pages
-mostly foreign language, but one here

http://www.actinia.si/client/index.p...articles&ID=48

lists a Gear Oil S and a "SL" - both mentioning Subaru.

Interesting.

--
Cheers,

John.