Jamie

Default Need goop to coat antenna connector

wrote:

I dont know how to explain this stuff, but there is some sort of black
or gray putty like goop that I have seen that is used to seal things.
I know they use it on furnace ducts and the like.

What I have is a automotive CB antenna mounted on my metal rain gutter
on my house. It's not for CB, but is for my police scanner.
Considering it's not really tuned for scanner, I am amazed how well it
picks up distant signals. However, I have a problem. The antenna
works fine in dry weather, and even in rain. However, it gets screwy
from snow. I am fully aware of why. It's because the snow piles up
at the base and touches the connector where the coax hooks to the
antenna. There is a large nut down there and it is exposed. It's
located less than an inch from the rain gutter when mounted, so it
dont take much snow to screw things up.

What I need is a means to insulate it. I could use silicone caulk,
and I know that would work well, but I want something that can be
removed so I can get that nut off if I need to. I know because it is
so close to the mounting bracket I could not get a decent wrap of
electrical tape, and also know that tape tends to hold moisture once a
little water gets in. But there is that black goop. It sticks real
well, and is waterproof, and yet removes easily. Does anyone know
where to get that stuff, or know of anything else I can use?

Thanks

PS. I am terrible at math. What wavelength is a CB antenna on a
scanner? What I mean, is referring to half wave, quarter wave, etc...
Anyone ???

Mark

get your self a can of liquid tape.