Tim Downie

Default Mobile phone virgin seeks advice

Mike Mitchell wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:05:27 -0000, "Grant Mason"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

what
is the absolute cheapest phone/package I can buy/rent which (a)
allows
me to receive incoming calls from landline phones or mobile phones
and (b) can make call to BT landline phones?

http://tinyurl.com/2j49s

£29.99 for a pay-as-you-go Trium Eclipse on Virgin Mobile from
Carphone Warehouse. You'll will need to buy top-up cards to make
calls. Standard UK calls cost 15p/min for the first 5 minutes each
day then 5p/min thereafter.

Extortionate!

In that case, try a tin can with a piece of string attached. Seriously, for
your purposes, you're not going to get much cheaper than that if you want a
new phone. If you're not going to make any calls the call charges aren't
going to bother you are they? This way you've got no contract or ongoing
charges.

If you don't mind a second-hand phone have a look at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=42 428

(a nokia 5110 currently standing at £5.50) and then get yourself a free O2
sim card from

http://shop.o2.co.uk/cgi-bin/o2uk/js...er:O2:TALKALOT

(25p a minute for the first 3 minutes, then 5p a minute. This is calculated
on you *day's* useage, not individual call: i.e. when you've made more than
3 minutes of calls *per day* in total, your tariff drops to 5p per minute
for the rest of the day.)

Although you'll see it say you need £10/month top ups, that's only needed to
maintain your free texts and wap allocation.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
Please support rheumatoid arthritis research!