Edwin Pawlowski

"rile" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of laying a laminate floor. My wife suggested that
before laying the floor that we spruce up the woodwork around it. The
woodwork is currently dull and needs a bit of shine.

Remove the baseboard before you put down the laminate. The put it back in
the same place, but it will be higher as the floor was raise about 3/8" or
so. Use care in removing it. The new nails can even go back in the same
holes again. I write the location it came from on the back of the board to
avoid confusion later.

Sand it with 220 grit just to smooth any imperfections, then put on a coat
of polyurethane. Oil based is the one most frequently used, but water can
work too. Use a good bristle brush. The foam brushes are OK for a small
tough up job, but are not nearly as good as a $10 bristle brush. Clean it
in mineral spirits.

In most cases, one coat is all that is needed, but you may want to sand
again and put a second coat. Can be done the same day. You'll appreciate
the extra time you took to do it right.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/