rile

Default finishing woodwork

I am in the process of laying a laminate floor. My wife suggested that
before laying the floor that we spruce up the woodwork around it. The
woodwork is currently dull and needs a bit of shine. We had a painter
do some interior work a few months ago and he also did the woodwork.
It looked the same but now is shiny and looks good. He used a
polyurethane finish. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it was oil-based
or water-based. I'd feel funny calling him and asking about it. What
do you experts suggest and how should it be applied.....foam or bristle
brush?