TURTLE

"RB" wrote in message
I have a small (200lb?) commercial ice machine in our garage, Servend brand.
The compressor is bad, according to a refrigeration tech I paid to come out
and check it over. He says the compressor is a Copeland, and new
replacement unit is $400.

I'm wondering if that's something I can replace myself?

If so, how/where can I find a good used one, or a rebuilt one?

I'm just starting out on this query, so may not even know the questions to
ask.

This is Turtle.

Well RB , It's all in who is doing the job. If it is me , hey not a big deal at
all and rather boaring to say to do it. If it is you , well I don't know what
equipment you have and the skill level you have in changing a compressor out. If
you own or can borrow about $5,000.00 worth of tools, a EPA card / Licences for
buying the R-404-A replacement freon, Have the Tech support number handy, Know
the Micro to pull on it, get a Burn out drier and not standard, Skill to sweat
fittings, and have the trouble shooting skill to figure out what killed the
first compressor before put the next one on there to burn it up. If not your ill
prepaired to do it. If you are, Well your good to go.

Here is some answer to your questions.

Yes if you have thje tools and skill , Go for it.

They don't sell rebuilt compressor but you have to buy new ! At any
Refrigeration warehouse in towns of 50K Poppulation or more.

You just starting out on this Query here. yes I know that is for , if you knew
exactly what was involved here and the skill & tools needed. We would not be
talking here now. Well RB , I will say this. there is lot's of things people can
do theirself but this is not one of them and is right next to asking about
wanting to rebuild your car engine or replace the crank shaft and have no
mechanical skills to try it. RB , This is not the do it yourself job that you
might think it may be.

TURTLE