Ed Sirett

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:44:21 +0000, Lobster wrote:

andrewpreece wrote:
I was wondering whether gas pipes can be run behind plasterboard
studding? I know that gas pipes penetrating a cavity wall need to be
sleeved, with one end vented, but am not aware of such a requirement
for use within studding. Of course the consequences of a gas leak
there are not so severe - a gas leak into a cavity wall could be
disastrous, whereas a gas leak into a studding wall would not cause
stuctural collapse ( if ignited ), but I thought I'd ask about any
regs/best practise,

According to Ed Sirett's FAQ
(http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html)

"Pipes may be run inside partition walls provided they are corrosion
protected with anti-corrosion tape" (although I don't know whether that
refers to stud partitions or solid brick ones? Not sure why you'd need
the tape inside a stud partition?)

I have perhaps over stated the case here. The pipe will need protection
where it goes through the p/board. Also you need to make sure that the
pipe is adequately supported, bearing in mind that the p/board will not
hold a pipe clip very well.