James Sweet

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
(Greg) writes:

Hello,

Therefore, it appears to me that when a person alleges that their
VCR's or TV's power supply got "burnt out" due to a voltage surge, it
would have made no difference if the appliance was already in standby
mode?

In other words, if an appliance is in standby mode and there is an
under or overcurrent, the appliance's power supply will stand a chance
of a "burn out"?

(I sure wish I was an electrical engineer!)
Greg

Hard to say. Standby power supplies can be burnt out by a surge but
may be more tolerant than the high power circuits used during normal
operation.

And probably 90% of the time when people assume something was burned out by
a surge it actually had nothing to do with surges.