N Cook

"Stephen Sank" wrote in message
The 120V version of the 730 has a primary power switch on the back, but

the 120/240V version
does not. Not sure about the 220V version. The main power switch is the

touch-sensor button
on the front, which is powered by a small transformer/supply that's always

on(unless the rear
switch is off, on the 120v version at least). For this reason, it is not

possible to bring it
up on a variac, but I would not even consider that necessary. Other than

occassional minor
issues with the low voltage power supply(+/-15V for preamp & tuner), their

pretty damned
reliable. Just be prepared to replaced dozens of tiny lamps(14v/40mA) in

the front panel,
which are a bit challenging to get to.
The 730 is one of my favorite receivers in the world.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"N Cook" wrote in message
Incredably neavy lump. Unused for years and unknown history and mains

lead
is mildewed so
I wanted to insppect innards first and then power up on a variac.
Eventually twigged how to remove the top cover. Innards perfectly clean

and
healthy looking.
But now stumped - where on earth is the on/off switch ?

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~diverse

I've fully powered up now
Yes at least 6 bulbs blown
Problem with no powered control of volume although it did fire up randomly
when I wasn't looking.
Also maybe no radio o/p as manually changing volume setting plenty
of audio o/p on aux under volume control but no radio throughput.
on FM function select
The tuner motor system works fine up/down or presets
I assume the 6V battery keeps the 4066s happy with I/P and function
and tuner selects stored.