Tom Watson

On 13 Feb 2005 13:22:24 -0800, "florida stairman"
wrote:

Nice stuff. Nice talking to someone who's not jerking.
Where you from?What state?

Pennsylvania.

What wood was the stair made of?

Brazilian Cherry.

Whew! Plowing the bottom of the curved rail was a real challenge and
time consuming for sure.

I cut the rail into parts that were about 1/4" thick and glued them up
in place, using a form.

Making curved fillet strip. Lots of work.

Band sawed rough and routered to spec.

Do you cad draw your work?

TurboCad.

Did i see bowed treads & risers?

Only on the bottom.

Really nice stuff- a genuine stairman... I can appreciate it....with
nothing better to do than cook chicken... Buddy's good at it I'm sure.
Be nice Buddy -cheer up!

Thanks.

I did two curved stairs in that house and they were a joy to do, but I
would not like to be a full time stairman.

I did eight straight runs in the same house.

I also built the columns that you can see in the picture and the
entryway.

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page19.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page20.htm

You should really go and look at Tommy Plamann's work, he's much
better than me.

http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door/

You should also go look at Mike Hide's website, he carves like an
angel - but I don't have the URL handy - maybe someone can help.

Please don't get put off by the wise ass stuff - this is basically a
hobbyist newsgroup and there are a lot of entrenched members who feel
the need to razz the newbies.

When I first started hanging out here in the 90's, I kept my mouth
shut for a long time, even though I was a pro.

The folks here are basically nice, and most of them are pretty smart -
but breaking in can be a little tough.

I welcome you. I have great respect for the stair trade and its
practitioners, and I hope that you wade through the initial crap and
hang around for the long term.

All the best.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)