Andrew Gabriel

Default Equivalent fluorescent power

In article ,
(N. Thornton) writes:
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...

Since it loses the advantages of both electronic and traditional
ballasts, and combines their disadvantages,

I dont see how that would be so. Care to tell us what the pros and cons you see are?

Traditional ballasts:
Very reliable and long life component (except in the US;-).
Electronic control gear:
Life follows standard reliability curve for medium current
semiconductor circuits (some early failures, a few years
without problems, then gradual increasing failure rate).

Traditional ballasts:
Can generate 50Hz flicker with cheaper tubes.
Can continue trying to start a dead lamp.
Electronic control gear:
10% higher light output by running tube at ~5kHz (20kHz is typical).
No flicker.
Dead lamps remain extinguished.

If I'm understanding your scheme correctly, it provides only all
the disadvantageous points, so it's worse than either a traditional
ballast or electronic control gear, each of which does have some
advantages. It's not going to be any cheaper to make than either of
these either.

--
Andrew Gabriel