Tom

Greybeard wrote:

I have a need, and it shouldn't be rocket science, but does have some
interesting "possibilities and opportunities." I'm working in HO
scale, buildings, and need a bunch of pieces with openings cut to fit
small (tiny?) plastic moldings, windows and doors. One or two, I cut
with an exacto knife, but I'm looking at making six or eight of the
same thing now, each with four windows and four doors. The material
is basswood, and I have an Electropress that I'm wanting to make a
punch for the different openings. Doesn't need much accuracy,
anything I can make that will come within .005" will be fine, but the
problem comes with the sheeting I'm using. It's scribed to simulate
boards, and that scribing is done on 1/32" sheet, so there isn't a lot
of split resistance left. The scribing is nearly half of that depth,
with the grain, 1/32" spacing. The moldings are made so they cover
the front a little, a rough opening isn't going to show unless it's
pretty bad.

Does anyone have any experience with making a hollow punch, maybe
coming down around a drilled hole for something like this? Doors will
be about 3/8" by 1", give or take a little, windows maybe 3/8" by
1/2". I'm guessing the press is somewhere in the 1/4 - 1/2 ton range,
a dandy little finger smasher. (It's a big solenoid on a heavy
frame.)

Greybeard

Perhaps something on the lines of a mortising chisel may work.
You could get an idea on design from he
http://tinyurl.com/9rfv

Tom