Gary Brady

KLS wrote:
Hi All,

The messages in this group may be a little too "hard core" for what I'm
interested in, but I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. After
trying many crafts over the years - painting, sewing, quilting,
woodworking, etc. - I've finally decided that I'd like to focus on metal
crafts. I find myself attracted to anything metallic, whether it be
beads, paint, hardware (the older the better), tin ceilings, whatever.

I'd like some advice on getting started (as in a good book, web
resources, suppliers, etc.), though my range of initial interest is
probably not covered in any one book. I'd like to learn about different
types of metal, gauges, the best materials for projects, tools needed,
techniques for antiquing metal, and perhaps how to solder. I'm
interested in learning about embossing, punching and metal collage. I
have searched the Web but the options seem overwhelming. Amazon has over
300 books in the metal crafts category.

Also, DickBlick.com seems to have some reasonable prices on metal
sheeting and tooling supplies. Is this a reputable site?

Thanks for any advice,
Karen

Take a look at the Ganoskin site http://www.ganoksin.com/ It's mostly
jewelry related, but has some technique content and a good links page to
other sites that may interest you.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX