Edwin Pawlowski

"George" wrote in message
I've just bought a very nice cedar-lined chest for the bedroom. The card
that came with it warned against putting "printed material" inside.

Is this something to do with a fire hazard, or is there another reason for
the warning. I was thinking about storing photographs (among other things)
inside.

There will be some outgassing of aromatics in cedar. It can damage paper
and photos. Cedar dispels insects and that is why it is used for chests and
closets to store material, especially wool, so that same stuff will be
floating around your photo paper and be absorbed.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/