Owen Lowe

In article ,
Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

We have something like 60 or 70 members, a couple make a living turning
and then we have a mix of experienced, and less so, also quite a few
beginners.
We had a $30.- a year membership fee, but with approval of all have
increased it to $50.-, we do need some better sound and video equipment
and so we will now be able to purchase it, after that we will decide to
We also have a raffle for bowl blanks, pen blanks, turning wood and
tools and stuff that the members donate, makes for a nice exchange and a
overall good feeling and camaraderie.
We also have several members that will take newcomers under there wings
as well as those that like to get some specialized experience, from
spindle to hollow turning or bowl coring etc.
Visitors are welcome and we encourage repeat visitors to become members.
We also have challenges and demonstrations by members or visiting wood
turners.
We have one meeting per month and some special days like BBQ every year.

My primary chapter has a yearly $35 dues. Your group, Leo, sounds about
like ours in number and makeup. One thing that really seems to add to
the bank is the yearly auction. Usually in August, most of the members
bring in wood and or tool donations for the auction. It is generally
fine wood that is just taking up too much space or that the member
wishes to share - I usually try to donate wood that is a little unusual,
like filbert or magnolia. Plum is pretty popular and usually gets a high
bid. This year we combined our auction with our BBQ; I think that was
very popular and we'll likely do that again.

This past year we hosted Jean F. Escoulen as a demonstrator and workshop
instructor. He turned a 24" trembler, signed it and gave it to the club.
A base was turned for it, a scrap piece of acrylic cylinder was trimmed
to size and fit into a mortise in the base to protect the trember and a
finial was added to the top of the cylinder. This was added to the
auction and went for something on the order of $200.

We also have a monthly raffle of donated items and sell CA glue, sanding
disks, and a "wood of the month." Wood of the month is purchased in bulk
at a discount at one of the wood suppliers. It's then cut to different
sizes if needed and marked up to something reasonable but still
inexpensive compared to retail outlets. It's also an unusual wood that
most folks might not turn regularly and that seems to be part of the
interest in buying it. What ever doesn't sell this month is marked a
little lower next month and may end up in the auction if it's still
around by then.

We don't have any kind of door fee and our lathe and facility isn't
available to members other than on meeting nights or during the couple
teaching workshops throughout the year.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long