Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Michael

We have something like 60 or 70 members, a couple make a living turning
and then we have a mix of experienced, and less so, also quite a few
beginners.
We had a $30.- a year membership fee, but with approval of all have
increased it to $50.-, we do need some better sound and video equipment
and so we will now be able to purchase it, after that we will decide to
We also have a raffle for bowl blanks, pen blanks, turning wood and
tools and stuff that the members donate, makes for a nice exchange and a
overall good feeling and camaraderie.
We also have several members that will take newcomers under there wings
as well as those that like to get some specialized experience, from
spindle to hollow turning or bowl coring etc.
Visitors are welcome and we encourage repeat visitors to become members.
We also have challenges and demonstrations by members or visiting wood
turners.
We have one meeting per month and some special days like BBQ every year.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Michael Lehmann wrote:

My local woodturning club (Mackay Australia) has held meetings on a
Wednesday night for a year or so now. A couple of experienced turners and
half a dozen beginners. At the moment we pay membership fees and a $2 door
fee. (Club is open 2nd 4th Sundays with $2 door fee)
The powers that be in the club want to treble the door fees on a Wednesday
to try and make some money.
There was a heated meeting today but nothing was resolved. We are in need of
some suggestions.
What times are your clubs open and what, if any, door fees then apply? Do
you differentiate between people there to turn and people there to teach?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards
Mick