David Hearn

Default Methods of cooling a room

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"David Hearn" wrote in message

snip
Your last suggestion sounds quite a good idea actually. Our roof is

unlined
and very dusty (I think due to it being unlined). I've wondered about
whether we could put something on the underside of the roof to stop all

the
dust etc coming from the tiles (which is where it seems to be coming

from).
If we put something reflective (on both sides?) onto the underside of

the
roof this may both stop the heat coming into the loft, and also stop

some
of
the dust (so we may be able to use it for storage!).

Now - what would you suggest to put on the underside of the roof? I
wouldn't want to put anything which may cause problems (damp etc) and

I'd
not want to do anything which a surveyor in the future may take issue

with
(though they'll probably take issue with anything!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you're saying that your loft is uninsulated then I'd look at sorting

that
out first. Many previous threads on the subject as to how to achieve

this -
both on the floor of the loft or between the rafters.

Insulation only seems to be stocked up in the sheds during autumn/winter,
but it's of just as much use in the summer. It's a job that's high on my
to-do list as well, when I get the time to do it.

The loft does have insulation (as thick as the joists). There's just no
felt under the tiles (ie. I can physically touch the tiles).

For your bedroom I'd recommend looking at installing a ceiling fan - they
will wire in as a direct replacement to a light fitting, but do need

proper
fixing into either a joist or a pattress between two joists. Now I know
that fans will do absolutely nothing to cool a room (they don't heat it

much
either - the motors are pretty low power) but they will make sleeping
bearable as the constant air flow ensures your body maintains efficient
evaporation. They're a cheap solution, too, ours was about £50 from a

shed,
IIRC.

I forgot to say that we've got one of these. At least, sort of. I fitted
it fine - but I've got to sort out a wobble with it - it has 3 speeds - top
speed wobbles far too much and makes a pulsing noise. The 2 slower speeds
are okay (no visible wobble, but still a quiet pulsing noise) - and we use
it as such. I need to take it down and put something under the mount
(currently just metal to lath/plaster into joist) and possibly use longer
screws. Once that is done, I'll then consider swapping the blades around
(though they claimed they were all matched in the factory).

What we've been doing is using the ceiling fan (which we don't seem to
notice does anything except make a pulsing noise which annoys us slightly)
and also a pedestal fan. Makes things more bearable - though its still too
hot....

Maybe shedding some pounds off my weight may make things a little better...
I've been meaning to do that too!

Thanks