Beachcomber

On 12 Feb 2005 21:16:31 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

I would apply some comom sense fixes to your basement, paint the cynder
block wall with water proof paint and seal any cracks. All this stuff
will help keep out dampness as well. You may have to add a ventilation
system to the basement. If you have hot air heat, make sure there are
no open return ducts in the basment. You may want to hav eone open feed
duct. You want to try to establish a positive pressure in the basment
and never a negative pressure.

There are cheap test kits. I think 4 pc/li is the "legal" limit.

Mark

I agree. Use the test kits in various low lying areas of your house
to see if you get any elevated readings. Also realize, in some areas
of the country, the water contains disolved radon and may release it
while you are running the shower. Other sources of radon could be
releasing the gas into you basement from the earth.

Radon is a heavy gas that tends to seek the lowest level of your
living quarters. If you have it you may need a mitigation solution
that uses blowers and pipes to vent it outside of your house.

Beachcomber